Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Adrenaline Junkie

Remember that ridiculous 90s action movie in which a bus cannot go any slower than 55 mph or else a bomb will explode?

"pop quiz, hot shot"

At the end of the movie (spoiler alert?) our hero and the lovely lady, who have been stuck on the moving bus together for hours, finally land safely in the wreckage of the bus.  The music swells, and they share their first kiss ... and he romantically says ...

"I hear relationships based on intense situations never work"

she responds with something silly and they kiss again

snicker snicker ... i am ashamed to say i loved that movie when i was young ...

I thought about that idea this morning, though ... well ... actually the line just randomly popped into my head and it got me thinking ...

Is my relationship with God based solely on intense situations?

yup ... I just did that ... but now that we're here, let's be done with that analogy, shall we?

The past few months have been ... 'intense' seems like the wrong word ... it's been hell.  My family and I have been through the wringer this summer/fall with everything going on with Emma.

And God has been so faithful to sustain us!  He's carried us and strengthened us and answered our prayers and it's been amazing!

And now life is settling down.  Emma is slowly working on regaining her strength, and her skills are improving daily.  Josh and I have faith that we will catch up on sleep someday, and the number of snuggles Charlie needs on any given day is back to normal as well.  The biggest problem in my life right now is the fact that the city I live in is re-paving my street, so I can't park in my driveway ... which I think would be best characterized as a "first world problem"

So why are you downcast, o my soul? (ps 42)

It hit me hardest yesterday.  I couldn't figure out why, but I felt terrible.  I felt fat, ugly, useless, annoying ... I was in a "funk," I guess, and it was bad.

As a dear pants for water, so my soul thirsts for you, O God. (ps 42)

Life can get intense sometimes.  And during those times, it is crucial that I turn to the Lord.

But in the grassy meadows of life, where I am not in a valley or on a hilltop, I need Him just as much.

I've seen me without my Jesus.  It's not pretty.

And so in this season, and in whatever season comes next ...

The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. (ps 23)  

I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God (ps 42)

2 comments:

Dave Burkum said...

Thanks, as always!

At first I thought this was going to be a post about you and Josh! You do have a pretty intense thing going! :-) Seems to me that it's lasting pretty well!

Dewey said...

"Come, thou fount of every blessing..."